Monday, November 06, 2006

The Captivating Barcelona Basilica

I was stunned, and my mouth wide-open as I keep on exclaiming, "wow! wow! wow!". I was standing outside among the most outstanding structure I have ever seen in my thorough life, the Basilica De Santa Maria Del Mar or the Esglesia de Santa Maria del Mar in Barcelona. They say it was among most lovely churches in the city, but for me it was among the most exquisite in the whole globe. I was standing at the entrance of the basilica and I cannot move my feet to get inside for a more impressive view while my family was already inside, and I just got back to reality when I heard my matriarch called my name.

The basilica De Santa Maria Del Mar was created in the course of the 14th century in honor of St. Mary of the Sea, patron saint of sailors. The whole structure of the cathedral was an absolute exemplar of Catalan Gothic Style with flat octagonal towers, terraced roofing, the prevailing horizontal lines, and voluminous area. But the most arresting for me was the massive rose window in the facade. I cannot believe what my eyes were seeing when I was inside the church, and I must say that it takes a person to stand in the midst of the basilica to be thoroughly riveted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home