Thursday, May 24, 2007

An Exceptional Volcanic Island Spree

After a three-day business arrangement in mainland Spain, I was given three more days to appreciate an island getaway-- all-expense paid by my company. I instantly got my map, surfed the net, and queried some Mexican fellows about the loveliest and probably the most exciting and exotic island in Spain. Of my six fellows, four recommended Lanzarote Island. Right then, I elatedly packed my things, left the hotel, and set off to the island.

Lanzarote is part of the huge Canary Islands, surrounded by the vast Atlantic Ocean and a few kilometers away from Africa. Beaches are everywhere, so swimming in the azure waters, playing with the great waves, and going fishing are all thinkable. The sand is superb, powdery, and all white, adding more charm to the perfect sight of the blue skies, endless beach water, and volcanic backdrop. Add to that the plain bliss of the many stunned foreigners.

Being a volcanic island, Lanzarote has a chain of volcanoes, which provide a gorgeous landscape, perfect for shooting scenes for flicks such as "Planet of the Apes." Timanfaya National Park also has a version of its volcanic setting where some species are blossoming. But there is more to Lanzarote other than the volcanic scene and beaches because at night, the island is so vibrant with bars playing fine, folkloric music from the traditional instrument "timple."

Lanzarote is unquestionably far from the traditional idea of an island because of its volcanic landscape not typical to any other place. Now, I grasp why four of my fellows wanted me to experience Lanzarote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home